Updated: Mar 20, 2019
Would you like to add more joy to your life? Here are a few quick tips:
1. Be present - right here, right now. Take 5 minutes of your time to ground yourself in the present moment. Silence your phone. Let go of the past, and stop worrying about the future. Take a long, deep breath in, and exhale as slowly as you can. Repeat this three more times. Now slowly take in your surroundings. Observe the colors, textures, sounds and scents. Express gratitude for the clothes you are wearing. Express gratitude for your breath. For your heartbeat. For the precious life within and all around you.
2. Make funny faces in the mirror. This one is a simple reminder not to take yourself too seriously. Take two minutes of your time to look in the mirror and smile. Stick out your tongue. Scrunch up your face. Pout. Now practice your most surprised, lottery-ticket winning face. Take your hands and mush up all the skin on your face, move it around. Have fun! Play is not just for kids.
3. Put on your favorite song and dance, moving all your limbs and hips as much as possible, in big wide goofy circles. Get that body moving! Think of it like a stretching exercise. Move every part of your body as big and as wide as possible, then try small teeny movements. Then really really BIG ones again! Then teeny ones. Crouch down, ball up, then explode into the air! Jump! Kick! Punch! Do whatever the hell you want. Now, how did that feel?
4. Go for a walk. In nature, if possible. Do not underestimate the magical powers of walking to calm the mind.
If those didn’t work, try this:
5. With a straight face, pinch your nose, place your hand on your hip and say “I am a magical unicorn-riding leprechaun. There’s nothing I can’t do!”
May you be joyful. May you be at peace.